You can find the latest advice for citing and referencing content created by generative artificial intelligence (GenAI) tools in the MLA Style Center.
In summary, from March 2023:
- Acknowledge all functional uses of GenAI tools, such as editing or translating tasks. You can do this in your text or in a footnote.
- Provide citations and complete reference details whenever you incorporate into your own work any content that was created by a GenAI tool.
- GenAI tools should not be considered as authors.
- Complete reference details should:
- have no author name
- use a description of the content generated as the Source Title, for example, use the prompt text
- use the name of the GenAI tool as the Container Title
- include the version of the GenAI tool
- use the producer of the GenAI tool as the Publisher
- include the date the content was generated
- include a publicly available link to a saved copy of the generated content, or, if one is not available, include a link to the general website of the GenAI tool.