You can find the latest advice for citing and referencing content created by generative artificial intelligence (GenAI) tools on the APA Style blog.
In summary, from April 2023:
- In your Methods or Introduction section, describe how you used the GenAI tool.
- Include the prompt you used in the GenAI tool and any relevant portion of the AI-generated response.
- Cite and reference the GenAI tool in the same way you would computer software, including a version number and a short description of the type of tool.
- You can include long prompts as footnotes, or in an appendix or online supplemental materials.
- You can include long AI-generated responses in an appendix or online supplemental materials. This is important because readers cannot recreate the exact response even if they use the same prompt you used.